The first preserved document that refers to the limits of the Sant Andreu parish dates from 990; however, it was not until 1716 that the village of Sant Andreu was no longer part of Barcelona and became an independent entity. Its geographical location favored the population development as it was located on the road that connected the city of Barcelona and the Vallès Region.
In 1897 the old village of San Andreu was reintegrated with Barcelona. The area of the current district includes only a part of what the former town originally was –it was the largest of all the Barcelona Plain.
Currently some areas of the district are undergoing a strong urban renewal process, due to the location and construction of one of the two high speed train (AVE) stops in Barcelona that will connect Spain with the rest of Europe.
The urban transformation will affect some areas of the neighborhoods in la Sagrera, Sant Andreu, Bon Pastor and Baró de Vivier. Among the major projects related to the construction of the AVE, a large linear park that follows the track of the train will be built.
The district neighborhoods have different origins; Trinitat Vella for example, had a strong rural vocation until the second half of the 20th Century. Other neighborhoods were born as working class housing areas such as Bon Pastor, Baró de Viver, Navas and the Congrés y els Indians. The latter, was the place where the Spanish landowners living in Cuba were established after the country lost the colony of Cuba in 1898.
The current Sant Andreu neighborhood maintains its old urban core with a small-town spirit. The high speed train station project will create extensive residential and tertiary spaces on both sides of the railway track, which will once again dramatically transform the urban environment permanently.
NEIGBORHOODS OF SANT ANDREU
Trinitat Vella, Baró de Viver, Bon Pastor, La Sagrera, Navas, El Congrés y els Indians y Sant Andreu de Palomar.
Points of Interest & Landmarks
- Casa Bloc: for people interested in architecture, Casa Bloc is a residential building designed and built between 1932 and 1934 by GATPAC under the rationalist guidelines of modern architecture. (Paseo de Torras i Bages 91-105)
- Can Fabra: is a cultural facility housed in a former industrial building from the 19th Century. In 1839 Ferran Puig founded a textile factory which in time became one of the most importants in Europe. (C/ Segre, 24-32)